The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-i-were-to-take-over-from-fa-31164673.aspx

Subject:  If I Were to Take Over from FA... Date:  3/13/2014  5:20 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  74506 of 90856

...where to I find out about more conservative investing?

DH's risk tolerances are lower than mine, and he seems happy enough with the FA prescribed 60/40 equities/bonds, probably mostly because a "professional" told him that was how it should be. He's happy enough accepting what the FA tells us to do, but I am more of an outside the box thinker. The FA has been OK, returning better than the benchmark net of fees, but how do I even know we are using the right benchmark? Why not 70/30? Trust but verify, right?

Problem is that I really don't know how to invest any other way than full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes. Not a great style for our time in life. But I am kinda tired of having to double check what the FA says and confirm the accuracy. What he tells me and what he tell our son, who I try to make do his own discussion with the FA, often are two very different things, even when discussing the same accounts. And honestly, I'm tired of paying our fess while educating him.

Time to start preparing to take things back over, or at least analyzing the possibility.

IP
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us