The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/and-couples-like-us-provide-the-next-generation-31178908.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another 2015 budget proposal impacting retir Date:  3/23/2014  5:22 PM
Author:  alchook Number:  74595 of 101014

And couples like us provide the next generation who pays into SS for you to use when you are older. I suspect our costs in producing and educating the next generation are higher than your reduced SS, particularly when you add in the total payments we also made into the system. We sure could have retired a whole lot earlier, even without SS, had we not provided some well qualified soldiers to fund the next few decades of SS benefits.

But that doesn't explain the rationale for providing you with additional SS benefits, does it?

My understanding was that spousal benefits were designed to provide financial protection to a spouse who spent her life raising a family rather than working at a job and making FICA contributions.

I don't think the intention was ever to express gratitude to those who had children. At any rate, your argument doesn't hold up, does it? The spousal benefits are provided to married people, regardless of whether they produced any children. And they're denied to non-married people, regardless of whether they had any children.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us