The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-dont-think-so-quotjointquot-account-just-31185766.aspx

Subject:  Re: Consolidation of Roths? Date:  3/28/2014  12:47 AM
Author:  bigcaat Number:  74657 of 102456

I don't think so. "Joint" account just doesn't apply to an IRA. Think about what that "I" stands for. There will be two Roth accounts, one for you, one for your husband. You may be beneficiaries on each others account, but you won't be joint owners of one account. Two standalone, separate accounts means two separate logins.

I *get* that the IRAs are separate. That is not the issue. I just talked to Scottrade today, and he said I could transfer both over there. But I will call again and double check.

The IRAs stay individual, that is not up for discussion, I understand that point. As he explained it, they will just be housed in our brokerage account which will be tied to the checking account, as well. I'm NOT trying to merge the two IRAs and .. I am NOT trying to merge the two IRAs. And in case there's any confusion, I am NOT trying to merge the two IRAs. I am *just* considering moving them into our brokerage account as the person from Scottrade described I could do. I will call and check again, however, but we had a long talk about it and that's what he said I could do.

There was absolutely NO discussion about *merging* the two IRAs into one IRA. No merging, sorry I said it how I did in the subject line, it is not "Consolidating Roths" it is "Consolidating 2 separate Roth accounts into my Scottrade Brokerage account" but that didn't fit into the subject line.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us