The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/its-definitely-possible-to-fix-the-food-budget-31187032.aspx

Subject:  Re: Budget Help Date:  3/28/2014  8:25 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  308054 of 312650

It's definitely possible to fix the food budget. The problem is I don't know what to cook. I'm pretty tired at the end of the day, and don't usually have the energy to cook, hence the convenience foods, hence the big grocery budget.

Have you considered cooking lots of meals on the weekend, and then just reheating during the week? For the year when my kids were 2 1/2 til 3 1/2, DH would leave the house on Monday morning, return for a late dinner on Wednesday night, leave on Thursday morning, and come home on Friday night, so I had the kids pretty much all week on my own. My solution was to cook a big meal on Sundays, and we'd eat it on Sunday night and have the leftovers for dinner on Monday. After dinner on Monday, I would cook Tuesday's dinner and put it in the fridge, then I'd just reheat it when we got home on Tuesday. I did that all week so that I was reheating for dinner, and then making the next night's dinner so that it would be ready when we got home.

It's like always eating leftovers, but it is fast, and it keeps you from having to use all those convenience foods.

You can also try making fast dinners during the week. We cook on the gas grill all year, and it doesn't take much to cook a couple of potatoes in the microwave, cut them up, add seasonings and butter or oil, wrap in foil, and finish on the grill with the meat. Add a frozen veggie or fresh salad (I make a huge salad on Sunday, and we eat it all week) and dinner is on the table in about 30 minutes.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us