The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/4-the-intent-to-start-taking-sepps-from-31191179.aspx

Subject:  Re: Clarifying on the 401(k) Rollover Date:  4/1/2014  12:50 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  120644 of 129670

4. The intent to start taking SEPPs from traditional IRAs is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. I hit 55 in under 7 years, so that window aligns with potential (relatively) early retirement.

Yes, you can do the T IRA SEPP withdrawals before 59 1/2, or simply pull funds without penalty from your 401k after 55 when you quit work. If your new employer has a good plan, you might consider just rolling your current 401K into there so you don't have to deal with SEPP for a while. Or as I said, if you want to keep that option open but allow yourself all the bells and whistles of choosing your own brokerage, just keep the 401K rollover in a separate account and keep a paper trail, so that you have the option to roll it in to your current 401K later. I suspect this is contingent on what your new employer will allow. In this case you have two sets of rules to deal with...the IRS and your employer 401K.

I honestly don't know how much of a PITA SEPP is, but I am happy to be able to avoid it. But our 401K is pretty good in terms of what it lets us do.

IP
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us