The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/with-regard-to-your-electric-bill-we-have-been-31195819.aspx

Subject:  Re: Budget Help Date:  4/4/2014  10:53 AM
Author:  Mcstuffins Number:  308125 of 312650

WIth regard to your electric bill, we have been able to get our electric bill down on our mostly electric house by doing the following:

1. opening up curtains and not turning the lights on during the day.
(this only works in certain rooms where there is more natural light than other) At night, the family tends to gather together in the family room so that is the only light that is on at night.

2. programmable thermostat is set to 68 in winter. from 10pm to 5am, when everyone is under the covers, its set to 62. we have a new house with 2 thermostats -one for upstairs and one for downstairs. from 7am to 4pm, the upstairs thermostat is turned down to 65.

3. we do not put light bulbs in every socket. For example, the bathroom sconce (is that what you call it) holds three bulbs, we just use one socket. This is a newer home with tons of pot lighting, and we only fill half with bulbs.

4. At night, we just turn on the light by the garage and side door. The front entrance is kept dark. The only exception is when my husband travels for work - then all the lights go on. I'm a scaredy cat so I want the bad guys to think someones home and not come in, if they do get near the house, I want potential witnesses to be able to see them.

5. Lastly we keep most things unplugged. Bedside lamps unplugged unless we are reading at night. Exercise equipment unplugged. Chargers off the wall unless in use. Small appliances, coffeemaker, toaster, blender - unplugged. we have two tv's in the house. one in the fam room and one in the basement. The basement one is kept unplugged unless we r hanging out there and using it. The family room tv is not used much during the week but getting behind it to unplug it as well as plugging and unplugging the cable, dvd, attachments is so annoying that we keep it plugged constantly. My husband wanted to unplug the washer/dryer when we r not using it, but talk about inconvenient so I put an end to that quickly.

6. We do laundry only once a week. Not easy with three boys. Heavily soiled stuff gets hand washed and scrubbed in the sink to prevent staining and then gets run thru the washer on laundry day. I try to hang dry as much as I can. I think if you follow some of the suggestions to cook most of your food over the weekend you will find that will impact your electric bill as well as you will not be using it as often.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us