The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ive-read-of-but-have-never-seen-anyone-who-does-31197388.aspx

Subject:  Re: One Rollover Per Person Per Year Date:  4/5/2014  4:12 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  74708 of 100126

I've read of but have never seen anyone who does constant IRA rollovers as a way of accessing their IRA dollars without tax or penalty and who would be the ones most affected by this new rule. But it sounds like a lot of work.

It's not that hard.

I did this myself just a few months ago. Due to some unusual medical expenses, I needed a bit of extra cash to get through to this current tax season (I do taxes for a living and earn much of my income between February and April each year). I thought about just taking a distribution from my Roth IRA, but then realized that I could easily make it into March if I did a couple of 60 day rollovers.

We did one withdrawal from from my wife's IRA, paid the bills, did a withdrawal from my Roth about 50 days later and put that into my wife's IRA to complete her rollover, then I earned enough to put the money back into my Roth before that 60 days were up (only needed about 45 days, actually).

This new case wouldn't affect this as we each did only one rollover.

But I haven't heard any people thinking about traditional and Roth IRAs as being covered by this. The code section in question pre-dates Roth IRAs, so they are not mentioned there. Would your traditional IRA and your Roth IRA be considered one IRA for this rollover purpose? I don't know.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us