The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/this-certainly-is-terrible-news-i-had-no-idea-31214740.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date:  4/18/2014  12:41 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  120802 of 129671

This certainly is terrible news. I had no idea Phil was sick, either. But I haven't been quite that involved here the last few weeks, what with tax season, and "real work." Really - I do this for fun! (and learn a lot, too.)

Phil did a lot of good work here, and helped a lot of people.
Actually, in his work at the IRS, Phil was not a tax law expert; he was a Revenue Officer, which is a collection agent. It was he who referred to himself as a "knuckle-dragging goon." Accurate and concise as ever, that was Phil. Those guys don't really know much, and care less, about what the tax law really is -their job is to get money out of people.

And often, if people posed an involved technical question, he'd say, "That's above my pay grade." (A phrase often used on the job, in the public sector, I'm sure.)

I kidded him a couple of times that the reason he was so busy here, helping people, was to do penance for his past sins of extortion. I daresay, he did that, and more.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us