The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-grew-up-in-the-bronx-in-the-50s-we-used-to-31265874.aspx

Subject:  Re: If you're old enough... Date:  5/28/2014  9:10 AM
Author:  ChiliChild Number:  19164 of 20786

I grew up in the Bronx in the 50's. We used to get egg creams all the time. One time while travelling through the south in the 50's, we stopped at a soda fountain and ordered egg creams. The waitress brought us a hard-boiled egg in a plate of sour cream. My family has been laughing at that for over 50 years.

Yeah, I'm from Texas and I have a few of those stories about visiting the northeast (before we actually moved to <shudder> New Jersey for six years).

My in-laws (outside Boston in the '70s) were going to the store and asked if I wanted anything in particular. A Dr Pepper was requested. They went all over town looking for one to no avail. I couldn't believe they were so backward they didn't have the best cold drink in the world!

Over a winter holiday visit, I requested iced tea with lunch and was told they only serve that in the summer. And on a summer visit I requested hot chocolate with my breakfast and was told they only serve that in the winter. They served coffee, though.

Chili
has told those stories for years
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us