The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/then-again-if-you-invest-that-3600yr-at-an-8-31266584.aspx

Subject:  Re: What My Financial Adviser Recommends Date:  5/28/2014  2:58 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  75091 of 101553

Then again, if you invest that $3600/yr at an 8% return over 30 years, you get $408,000. You could reimburse Medicaid with enough left over to buy a boat or an airplane.

Well, that $200k I talked about was only for FIL, and only for 2 years. It was much more for step-mother's first husband who stayed in a nursing home for closer to 10 years. I guess my risk tolerance is such that I'd rather insure in this instance than self-insure, particularly since I do have a spouse and am not just planning for me.

We're all different, and have different planning criteria and risk tolerances. I'm not saying my choice is right for everyone, but it only needs to be right for me.

I thought it was worthwhile to toss my thoughts out there in case it helped someone else to make their own decision, whether to buy LTC or not.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us