The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/yet-the-stories-about-retirees-from-that-time-31270094.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Lessons from the 1950's Date:  5/30/2014  9:34 PM
Author:  FCorelli Number:  75117 of 104408

Yet the stories about retirees from that time show they lived their lives to the best of their abilities without feeling shortchanged.

Secret message: Shut up and keep working

Most of the farmers and shopkeepers took pride in and were fulfilled by their work, and they valued their social interactions and role they played in their community. (This aligns with current thinking about how to make retirement work enjoyable.)

Secret message: What do you need money for anyway? Shut up and keep working.

He passed away at 86, so his full-time retirement lasted just 11 years, longer than the average retirement in that time,

Secret Message: Be satisfied. Do not even try to do better. Keep working

Since money was scarce for retirees in the '50s, they were quite frugal, spending just on the basic necessities -- food, clothing and shelter. Many people grew fruit and vegetables in their gardens, canned produce for the winter and sewed their own clothes.

Many people do this today and always have. Anybody think this is really going to affect retirements across the board?

Here's just one example of their frugality: As a child and teenager, my uncle was considered "affluent" because he could afford to have his hair cut for a quarter.

Secret Message: Shut up. You have it "good enough". Keep working

In spite of all of these "limitations," my uncle told me that people generally accepted the status quo and didn't feel deprived. They got satisfaction from being an important part of their family, friends and community. They didn't pine for a better life, and they felt they were "all in it together."

Slave mentality. But hey, that's OK for slaves, right?

Secret Message: Find a way to be satisfied with what you. Let somebody else control our outcome. But, keep working.

If this is the best kapitalism has to offer you can jam it. Sideways.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us