The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thats-super-impressive-except-for-the-31297280.aspx

Subject:  Re: Debt collectors may have to pay if they call Date:  6/21/2014  11:08 AM
Author:  xtn Number:  308279 of 312716

That's super impressive. Except for the "verbally" part.

Quite frankly I think that's almost useless. It can only result in a he-said-she-said condition in court. It doesn't change the wise advice often given around this forum, which is to send a certified letter and keep good records. I suspect not too many people are going to collect damages or triple damages by telling a judge you told them not to call you anymore without some paperwork backing it up. It might happen occasionally, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Oh, and except for the fact that we can already make them stop calling with the right certified letter, and they already can't robocall cell phones without a prior business relationship, and we can already collect damages for violations. So the only difference is the "verbal revocation" part. And that's the part that isn't really worth much anyway they way I see it.

So it's not super impressive now that I think about it. Am I missing an angle? Should I be more impressed?

xtn
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us