The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-only-time-i-used-it-was-one-week-in-late-31309420.aspx

Subject:  Re: Disputing a CA bill? Date:  7/1/2014  5:36 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  308320 of 312853

The only time I used it was one week in late April; they've got zero for May billing, then $268 in June (which wasn't from a purchase, unless it was from 4/20 or so) and then $40 late charge every month.

Was the purchase that you made for $268? Because if it was, that timing probably works from a credit reporting perspective. Most credit card companies report to the credit bureau based on when the payment is due, not when the bill is produced.

In your case, if we assume the purchase was made on 4/20, the bill showing the payment due probably would have been produced/sent in early to mid-May (in theory, anyway), with the payment due 3 - 3 1/2 weeks later - probably in early June. So the credit bureau would show it as a June balance.

Ugh--the only negative on my credit report and it's really glaring.

Yep. A charged off account generally has a pretty significant impact on your credit score.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us