The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlti-just-have-a-hard-time-sticking-to-the-31309495.aspx

Subject:  Re: I owe, I owe, it's off to work i go Date:  7/1/2014  6:57 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  308321 of 312777

<<I just have a hard time sticking to the plan. The plan was a straightforward snowball. But I have veered off course several times. I know I should pay off my highest interest rate off first, but alloted xtra payment to other debt for various reasons, some rational, others not so much. For example I finally got the $600 city tax refund from 2011. I applied it to a joint chase acct I have with my husband because the refund was in both our names as is the card. At the time, sounded like a reasonable choice, on paper not so much.
>>

No particular reason why you need to stick to boring rationalism in paying down debt and forego some romatic im[provisation that you find appealing.

If you can take satisfraction in paying down debt held jointly by you and your husband, especially with a check made out to both of you, that sounds peachy to me!

The most important thing is that emotions are leading you to reduce your debt, rather than increasing it. A dollar or two in interest is a side issues compared to that important point.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us