The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/so-i-am-doing-what-i-need-to-in-order-to-be-in-a-31337682.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is the best way? Date:  7/22/2014  10:28 PM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  308410 of 312987

so I am doing what I need to in order to be in a better position for when the inevitable comes. There are more issues than money of course...but in the interest of ensuring I can make it on my own without that second paycheck is my goal. I admit to buying whatever he wanted but they have come to expect without being appreciative. Just wants to keep up with the Jones'.

Keep track of every. single. penny. from here on out. What goes for bills, what goes for debt, what he contributes to the household, what you contribute.

You're going to want it when you negotiate your divorce settlement.

Frankly, if you think it's inevitable that this relationship is going to end, I'd probably yank the band aid off now and contact a very good divorce lawyer for some advice, especially before you pull money out of your retirement account and start paying off debt that belongs to both of you, out of only your money.

Do you live in a community property state?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us