The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltltindeed-and-i-have-always-found-the-idea-31389459.aspx

Subject:  Re: Debtor vs Creditor Date:  8/29/2014  3:55 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  308555 of 313010

<<Indeed, and I have always found the idea that if you want to maximize your lifetime spending the way to do it is to save and live well below your means for the first part(*) of your life. You accumulate a lot and then have the means to do a lot more spending than if you had been spending most/all of your income all along. As a saver, I found this very interesting in that I will very likely outspend my spender-siblings in the long run as I loosen up on spending in the later years. In fact, at 40 and with a significant net worth already, I have already loosened up a bit on spending (while still saving a lot and rocketing toward FIRE).
>>

As an added benefit, savings and investment is likely to give you the priceless benefit of FINANCIAL SECURITY.

The debtor is often constantly spending time looking for new sources of credit to meet emergency needs for spending.

The person who is saving and investing is likely to avoid a lot of that time and anxiety, since they have likely planned their spending prudently and have the financial resources at hand to meet spending needs when they arise.

And often, the immense benefit of FINANCIAL SECURITY doesn't even cost someone money! It's a byproduct of financial planning, saving and investing, and often needn't involve extra spending.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us