The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/someone-tried-to-charge-2300-at-payless-shoe-31508136.aspx

Subject:  Re: Some figured out my ax card! Date:  11/20/2014  11:54 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  308832 of 313032

Someone tried to charge $2,300 at Payless shoe store in Topeka KS now I'm on the hook for this Fraud charge .

What do you mean you're "on the hook for this fraud charge"? Have you told American Express that the charges are fraudulent? Have you disputed the charges with American Express?

If you haven't - that's the first thing you need to do. There should be direction on your statement for how to dispute a charge. You usually have to do it in writing, although you may be able to do it over the phone.

You do need to call American Express and tell them that your card has been compromised, and they will probably issue you a new card, with a new number.

Should I close my account completely because I can't afford the minumum payment on it.

Closing a credit card does NOT take you off the hook for a balance owed. In fact, closing a card with a balance on the card is probably a good way to get your interest rate jacked up to the highest possible rate for your card. After you dispute the charges with American Express, they will take the charges off of the card until they finish their investigation. Unless they determine that you made the charges (which I assume is unlikely, since you didn't make the charges, right?), you will never see those charges again.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us