The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-wish-you-the-best-of-luck-aj-is-right-if-you-31597494.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't want bankruptcy, other options? sorry, Date:  1/26/2015  10:22 AM
Author:  Lea77 Number:  308952 of 312945

I wish you the best of luck. AJ is right, if you give details on income/expenses people will be happy to pick it apart for you but I don't know what kind of expenses you would have living with your parents right now. I guess kids stuff, food and gas mostly?

I think you're right to try to pay it off without bankruptcy, but without details can't give you more than encouragement.

My husband bought a stupidly expensive vehicle about 3 days before he lost his job and we had to call the bank to have them voluntarily repossess it.

We now owe $20,000 to the collections agency who bought the debt, and I need to pull up our credit reports, but I would estimate we have at least $6000 in other debt in collections. (credit cards we couldn't pay on, and medical debt).

What a mess! I know you can't do anything about this now and I don't know how repossession generally works but it seems a shame that that would add up to 20k. Is that more than payments would have been? (you don't have to answer, just thinking it through)... I'm wondering how much of that is fees and if there is any possibility of arguing away some of them. Of course, you would probably have to have some cash to wave at them for that to work well, so you may be best off paying what they've asked for for a period of time. Unless they are taking on more fees and interest the whole time you pay the 100 bucks. You might want to look at the details of that offer, if you haven't already.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us