The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/simple-ira-tsp-max-out-31747518.aspx

Subject:  Simple IRA, TSP max out Date:  5/10/2015  12:36 AM
Author:  Cdmfquest Number:  77439 of 98534

I am currently maxing out a Simple IRA (Self Employed) for both my spouse and I at $12,500 each, and I have been deployed to the middle east. I would like to start contributing to the military TSP Roth plan.
As you may guess, I don't qualify for the Roth IRA due to income phase out limit, so I have several questions:

1. Can I contribute to the military TSP Roth? Or, does my income prevent me from the Roth version of the tsp as well?

2. Can I contribute to the TSP in it's tradition form up to the limit of $18,000 minus the 12,500 that I'm putting in my Simple IRA?

3. Obviously, I would like to contribute to the Roth version of the TSP if possible, but if not, should I still invest in the traditional TSP or should I just start putting all that money and more into a regular investment account?

4. Embarrassingly enough, I've been sitting on a ton of cash (over $100K) and I now want to invest it. Would it be wise to keep costs low with a Vanguard fund(s) or put it in my Ameritrade Acct and do ETF's for the S&P and Nasdaq??

Thanks in advance for all of your help Fools!

CD
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us