The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/no-he-was-in-a-court-of-law-on-trial-for-his-31782269.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happiness Date:  6/7/2015  2:18 PM
Author:  Brooklyn1948 Number:  1620 of 1929

No, he was in a court of law on trial for his life. Here, he was explicitly rejecting a possible deal under which he would be allowed to go on living if only he would stop doing philosophy (examining things). Such a life -- he announced -- was not worth living. The jury understood that he was committed to a life of philosophy. They condemned him to death. Socrates obeyed the law, and drank the hemlock.

Wow. Thanks for the above. I had no idea.
As for myself, I started a journey of self-discovery 30+ years ago and I am a better person for it. I am happy now but that wasn't always the case. I had to get the toxic people out of my life in order to become the person I was meant to be.
I focus these days on the good people in my life, husband, kids, grandkids and the new puppy. I have fantastic neighbors in our new town, which is so much friendlier than the big city that I used to live in.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us