The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/being-happy-is-a-tough-one-you-have-to-find-31782461.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happiness Date:  6/7/2015  6:18 PM
Author:  Brooklyn1948 Number:  1626 of 1929

Being happy is a tough one. You have to find happiness where ever you can. When I have the kids and grand kids over for dinner and we are all sitting around the table eating and talking I tell myself enjoy this moment.

We retired two years ago and bought a house right down the block from my daughter and two grandkids. We have watched them grow for the past two years and I cannot tell you how happy that makes us.
When their car passes us by and I hear them screaming "Grandma, Grandpa", I almost start crying. Before we retired we saw them only 3 times a year. Now we are practically neighbors.
But, for some people, happiness will never be something attainable for them. My parents and sisters were alcoholics and prescription drug abusers. I suspect some of them were bi-polar. They drank to mask their depression and it became a vicious cycle.
For those of us who have found happiness, I can tell you right now, it's a big deal. Enjoy it because as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't happy you cannot accomplish much. I think it's the basis for everything. Money certainly cannot buy happiness as I've met some of the most miserable people ever and they have lots of money.
Inner peace is what I was aiming for and I think I found it.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us