The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Diabetic Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/pre-diabetic-what-changes-can-i-make-31893426.aspx

Subject:  pre-diabetic - what changes can I make? Date:  8/31/2015  8:51 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  2610 of 2885

I just had my physical, and my doctor has diagnosed me as pre-diabetic as I am at the low end boundary of the pre-diabetic range per the bloodwork. All the other numbers are good. I do have a family history of pre-diabetics as I remember my grandmother having her sugar be a touch high, and my brother tested high about 2 years ago, and so had to make some changes to his diet.

I've been doing some reading, and none of the risk factors associated with this condition apply to me. I am not obese (5"7" and weigh 140 pounds), I do not drink any sugary drinks (I either drink water or plain tea), I get lots of exercise (I play golf 4-5 times per week, and I walk and carry my bag; I go to the gym in the winter to be in condition for golf the rest of the year), I don't eat processed foods (I tend to be a scratch cook), and I already eat all the things I am supposed to eat (I generally have salad for lunch, and eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables). I do have ice cream once a week, and I drink a glass of wine probably 2-3 nights a week, but even the books that say to cut out alcohol say to cut down to once a day, and I am already well below that.

Everything I'm reading seems to focus on portion control in an effort to lead to weight loss, but although I could stand to lose 5 or even 10 pounds, I couldn't really stand to lose much more than that.

I do eat pasta maybe once every couple of weeks (more in the winter), and I eat white rice in the winter as stir-fry is my winter go-to meal. I have a bagel for breakfast, but it tends to be multi-grain or whole wheat, and on the rare occasions that I eat bread, it is whole wheat or oatmeal.

So I'm already eating the right diet and cannot find anything I should really be changing. The info from the doctor was completely useless, and so I have asked to see a nutritionist, which will happen in mid-September. But I'm impatient, and I want to make the changes now. I have already cut the wine down to one glass per week on the weekend, and I could get rid of that entirely if necessary. I'm not doing any ice cream during the week, but those are the only 'sugary' things I think I eat.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do or should be doing? I don't know how far below the lower limit I need to be, and I don't know how often they will check it.

Any helpful hints for someone just starting down this path?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us