The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-pension-plan-this-was-a-corporate-32157919.aspx

Subject:  Re: Attitude Question - SS Date:  3/14/2016  1:25 PM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  79297 of 97361

I have a pension plan. This was a corporate pension plan, so I had a choice of how I wanted it to pay out. I opted to receive the payment monthly for life. If I die next week, the extra money stays in the plan. If I live to be 200 years old, they still have to pay. That's how this kind of pension works.

And if you died before receiving any vested benefit, your spouse still retained all the income. Your spouse would not have to pick the higher of the two "pensions", effectively losing half of the money they and their employer contributed to SS.

And if you were already receiving it and you selected life or joint life with period certain or life or joint life with installment refund, you or your heirs would be assured to receive a specific dollar amount that cannot be lost due to your early demise.

Hawkwin
Who notes that it is generally a "bad thing" to have system where government receives a substantial financial benefit when people die before they collect any SS benefits - sort of like a predatory insurance company.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us