The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/all-else-being-equal-ss-should-provide-a-32158655.aspx

Subject:  Re: Attitude Question - SS Date:  3/14/2016  10:29 PM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  79324 of 97373

All else being equal, SS should provide a guarantee return of premium to the estate or the benes. It is extremely unfortunate that some people pay into SS all their lives and their spouse or their kids lose out on all that lost wealth because of the early death of the contributor.

Well, one, a widow would get survivor benefits. Children under 18 would get survivor benefits under social security.

And second: while SS benefit individuals, certainly, it also benefits society, broadly. There are a lot of taxes I pay that I don't directly benefit from, but I do indirectly benefit because they improve society. I may never need SNAP benefits, but I help pay for them. I hope I never need to "get my money back," but the benefit is there if I do.

Social Security is not insurance for the individual, per se, but rather a tax that goes into a "social insurance program" to ensure that certain segments of people in our society benefit from it.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us