The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/and-higher-income-earners-do-too-from-some-old-32160316.aspx

Subject:  Re: Attitude Question - SS Date:  3/15/2016  12:24 PM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  79333 of 97361

And higher income earners do, too.

From some old notes:

A. Social Security is expected to replace about 40 percent of pre-retirement earnings of average earners; 80 percent for the lowest earners; and 27 percent for those at the maximum taxable wage base of $80,400 [2001], according to the Social Security Administration.

While it does look like high income earners are getting whacked, it certainly doesn't feel that way. The lowest earners probably need that 80% of their pre-retirement savings because they either didn't save anything for retirement or didn't have any excess funds to invest. While 27 percent of pre-retirement earnings look low for those at the maximum taxable wage base, it may represent a good portion of their post-retirement income needs. Personally, SS will cover most of my income needs with only small withdrawals from my retirement accounts. I'll be living far below my pre-retirement income.

PSU
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us