The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/from-it-quotthey-found-that-every-age-group-32160543.aspx

Subject:  Re: Attitude Question - SS Date:  3/15/2016  2:13 PM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  79348 of 97361

From it - "They found that every age group received a positive return. Among current workers and retirees, the rates of annual return varied by about two percentage points - from a high of 6.52 percent (for single-earning couples born in 1920) to 4.52 percent (for their counterparts born in 1985).

At the risk of being redundant, I will state once again that I specifically referred to those that die early.

Those that die early often DO NOT receive a positive rate of return. The article I quoted and bolded stated exactly that.

Here, I will quote myself again from my first reply:

All else being equal, SS should provide a guarantee return of premium to the estate or the benes. It is extremely unfortunate that some people pay into SS all their lives and their spouse or their kids lose out on all that lost wealth because of the early death of the contributor.

------------

would mean "taking" from those who currently benefit most.

Agreed, and I am generally OK with that. Such would certainly provide more security to those families that actually need it. If we are going to have a socialized system, then we shouldn't have one that punishes families due to the early death of a contributor.

I am perfectly OK with less or even no winners. I really don't care for a system that creates financial losers all because someone died too young.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us