The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Boring Stocks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/some-notes-in-the-industry-vias-was-acquired-32223923.aspx

Subject:  Re: Park Electrochemical (PKE) Date:  4/28/2016  5:09 PM
Author:  chessburger Number:  5673 of 5674

Some notes:

In the industry -- VIAS was acquired by TTMI for 1.1X invested capital in 2015 (announced 2014). VIAS was heavily loaded with debt. (I think $17 buy out when deal was announced stock was below $11.)

PKE long-term multiple is ~1.04X invested capital and currently trading at .59X

PKE at long-term multiple would reflect a $23 share price -- 44% higher.

PKE during time of TTMI and VIAS announcement -- PKE spike to $29. Gives you and idea of a takeout value (at least based on fundamentals at that time.)

No real visibility on business trends -- will probably be safe to assume no growth to modest decline based on recent trends. Business is printed circuit materials to industrial and aerospace based firms.

PKE has recently been paying special dividends on an annual basis. The challenge right now is that unfortunately the bulk of the cash is in foreign subsidiaries and will have to be repatriated.

Lastly -- EBIT/EV (no real special calculation on EBIT -- i.e. adjust for maintenance capex, which probably would push EBIT higher) is over 11%. If your bogey was 6% return and this is earning 11% on the firm -- that seems to be attractive. Especially when ROIC is significantly above cost of capital. In this situation I don't think there has to be a catalyst -- just own the stock and the risk-to-reward should be in your favor to generate reasonable returns.

I would think @ $16 it is worth tracking how it does from here. I don't own a position but am thinking more.

chessburger
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us