The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/motorcycle-adventures-32295800.aspx

Subject:  Motorcycle adventures Date:  6/27/2016  1:51 PM
Author:  10talents Number:  11795 of 11912

I'm 35. I got my first motorcycle 4 years ago. It's a 750 Honda Shadow Aero. It has snakeskin flames.

In Anamosa, Ia there is a national motorcycle museum. There is also a fairly large motorcycle parts shop there called J&Ps Cycle. They have an annual open house rally every year. Which happened to be this past weekend.

It's about 4 hours from my house. My FIL, a coworker and I rode up there Saturday. Beautiful weather the whole way. Lots of sunshine when we got there.

We left about 3 to go to the museum while I had a helmet I bought pinstriped. A little over an hour later, we went back to get my helmet and ride home. Of course, after getting my helmet, my bike wouldn't start (funny, J&Ps and the museum are a mile apart. Everything was fine 15 minutes before).

No electrical power. Tried push starting, no luck. Hooks up a jump starter. It started, but ran rough and the lights flickered on and off. It's just after 5 now, so no chance of getting parts.

Stranded.

I called my brother to come pick me up in my mom's maybe not so reliable pickup and hoped I would t have problems loading it in the dark with no good place to load.

My brother ended up not getting there until 10:30 (I hung out with some interesting drunk people at a bar down the road and listed to a really good local band while I waited).

Brother finally showed up. Surprisingly we had no trouble loading the bike (backed into a ditch that happened to be about exactly the right size). Got home just after 3 am. Mom's truck worked great (other than it's a single cab and my large brother thought he needed to bring his large GF).

I ordered a new regulator today, and am hoping to get it fixed and have another adventure soon.

Added bonus- getting stranded has made it easier to talk my wife into letting me buy a bigger bike, even though the same thing could happen on any bike. I'm probably going to buy a new Indian Vintage Chief in the next few months.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us