The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/are-banks-becoming-obsolete-32296013.aspx

Subject:  Are banks becoming obsolete? Date:  6/27/2016  4:41 PM
Author:  neveragain Number:  310605 of 312988

I recently opened a chase checking/savings account for a $500 bonus. I had to deposit $15k into the savings within 10 days. If I did it online it would take two business days to arrive, which would have been fine, but I decided to just deposit the money in person "to be sure". 6 days had already passed and I was a bit nervous. I go to my local bank and get a cashiers check, which I had always been told was as good as cash. I handed over nearly 100k in a cashiers check for my house and I got a key for my troubles the same day. Well I went to chase and they took my check but placed a 10 day hold on it. Wtf. I could have just handed them a personal check and saved the trip to bank one.

The bank was actually fairly busy- people of all ages. Aside from this I don't think I have been inside a bank for at least a year, maybe longer. And that was only to report a theft of my debit card. I don't ever plan on getting a cashiers check again. I get cash from my ATM or do an online transfer. Money orders can be done in the post office. Accounts can be opened and closed online. I get my checks from a third party supplier for cheap.

So is there any real reason to go inside the bank? Although as I mentioned before, many people still do based on the level of activity in this bank.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us