The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thanks-but-joel-just-said-he-had-the-32317949.aspx

Subject:  Re: Haven't checked the FICO in quite a whil Date:  7/16/2016  12:29 PM
Author:  TMF2Aruba Number:  310648 of 312696

Thanks, but Joel just said he had the eight-fiddy.

Wow! That's awesome!

I'm actually fairly close to that as well, but I'll almost certainly never attain the maximum number. I am sure I have far too much available credit, and it doesn't help that I have 4 major credit cards.

One card I've had for about 25 years, with a ridiculous credit line of about $45k. This is one that's hardly used anymore, but I'm reluctant to drop it because of the long term history. My looking into this has shown that cancelling this card may actually be detrimental to my score.

The other 3 cards are ones that I shuffle to make work for me. One gives me cash back, one gives me JetBlue points (I never pay for flights to Aruba because of it), and the 3rd gives me Hawaiian Air points which allow me the luxury of flying 1st class to Hawaii (hey, why not?!).

Of course, I never have, nor never will carry a balance on any card, and each month, the bill is paid in full automatically from my checking account.

I've always believed that the only way to make credit cards work is to make them work for you, and to get the perks.

And since I mentioned travel, I'll use my old tagline here.... ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us