The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/maybe-its-me-but-i-am-noticing-every-time-i-go-to-32377913.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cost of Groceries Date:  8/27/2016  6:05 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  1742 of 1906

Maybe its me but I am noticing every time I go to the grocery store I am spending 150.00 and I mean every week. I go to COSTCO and buy in bulk and food saver food and have the freezer full of main dish staples for future meals, so when I go to the grocery store it is the break, milk, juice, fresh veggies and etc. items I am picking up. Its not like I am buying steak or prepared frozen foods.

How many people are you feeding? I feed 3 people, although DD generally only has breakfast home, so she doesn't eat that much, and I spend between $50 and $75 per week. I typically am just buying fresh produce to make my lunch salads for the week, fresh vegetables, milk and such. For meat, I tend to buy that when it is on sale and freeze it.

We eat very well, so I am at a loss as to what you are buying that could possibly be costing that much.

Do you cook everything from scratch? Are you buying the pricier organic items or all name-brands vs. generic? Do you shop at the more expensive chain rather than the less expensive store? In my area, I can save at least 30% off my grocery bill just by shopping at Market Basket vs. Stop and Shop, and I'm buying exactly the same things.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us