The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Weekly Analysis Club

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/from-a-practical-perspective-though-i-only-had-32389848.aspx

Subject:  Re: TubeMogul (TUBE) Report Date:  9/7/2016  12:28 PM
Author:  PaulWBryant Number:  561 of 571

From a practical perspective, though, I only had time to analyze one company. Again, the purpose isn't to invest, but to get practice with analysis

Time limitations are understandable, and in the interest of not seeing you waste your time I would simply suggest you consider whether such an analysis is useful. "SWOT" analysis might be a wheel that doesn't need to be reinvented. I would caution against considering the "Strengths" and "Opportunities" of a company and not its "Weaknesses" or "Threats."

You say you can go back later and evaluate my conclusions so that I can look for weaknesses in my process where things have gone wrong, but it seems questionable whether your "company in a vacuum" analysis would allow you to actually do this, even in retrospect. For instance, perhaps you correctly saw that MySpace had a huge user base, first mover advantage, etc etc, but failed to consider the threat of a better social network completely displacing them. Regardless of your accuracy evaluating the company's strengths, opportunities, financials, etc, I'm not sure what you'd be able to glean in hindsight about your appraisal of the company.

That said, I'm making suggestions because I'm interested in your project. If you evaluate a company I am interested in, I will chime in with my thoughts.

Bear
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us