The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-interest-is-as-a-taxpayer-and-former-parent-32409643.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT--"normal" raises Date:  9/23/2016  7:35 PM
Author:  katiewa Number:  80895 of 95273

My interest is as a taxpayer and former parent (kids are in college). I also plan to run for the school board next spring. I was a teacher 3 decades ago and have a number of friends who are local teachers.

I started going through the details of the school finances (which are public record and posted on the district website) when said secretary made a comment in the public portion of a board meeting that some teachers made more than the principals--said with some "attitude". The statement was inaccurate (depends what data you look at and what interpretations you make).

This incident has been followed by a number of similar statements, omissions, and whatnot by a variety of school personnel. The most significant recent statement is that our high school has 95% attendance when it is actually about 83% for funding purposes--a discrepancy worth somewhere between $300K and $500K--between 3 and 7 fully-burdened teachers.

I do NOT believe that anyone involved is evil or doing anything significantly wrong (no criminal intent or negligence). I do believe that our superintendent lacks a well-developed business/financial sense and that our board has forgotten that oversight is part of their job.

Thanks.
Kathleen
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us