The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/measuring-our-best-buys-now-review-32418321.aspx

Subject:  Measuring Our Best Buys Now review Date:  9/30/2016  1:29 PM
Author:  investanickel Number:  90155 of 93901

So, I'm perusing the "Measuring Our Best Buys Now, 2016 Edition" article circulated today. The graph of performance over time vs. the S&P causes me pause.

According to this graph, the Rock Star Years for Best Buy Now recommendations beating the market appear to be 2007-2008. 2006 and 2009, though not as formidable as the Rock Star Years, are still very solid performances. But from 2009 on we see an alarming performance drop-off. And 2015 and 2016 have not been good for Foolish Best Buy Nows.

I was shocked by the graph. My gut - and my investing in Best Buy Nows - told me things are not as rosy. But I must admit I had no idea it was quite this sobering.

I know this is only one measurement in a mountain of potential measurements of Foolish success against the market. And to draw too many conclusions would be foolish (small f!).

But I have wondered for years if what I have seen as a dropping off of the Fool's incredible market-beating isn't in part a clarion call to get back to basics.

I, like most Fools, receive a lot of email from The Fool selling me on the most recently-developed investment service. So much time, effort, energy and focus must go into these latest-and-greatest investment services. At what cost? Is this, in part, why we see such dramatic drop-offs in performance vs the market?

Or is it just the laws of averages catching up with the boys? You beat the market dramatically, but it just can't last over the test of time?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bailing on the Good Ship Fool. Nor am I recommending some major overhaul. But this kind of tepid performance vs the market is part of why I just couldn't pull the trigger when the most recent Foolish offer asked me for nearly $15,000 to join PRO.

This happens over and over again in business. As a business grows and proves successful, the temptation to branch out too quickly or in too many ways harms the overall performance of that great business.

So maybe - just maybe - it's time to Foolishly refocus on a smaller handful of investment services and get back to the basics that made The Fool such a great investment community.

These are just my two cents. I may not have had $15k I was willing to stick out there on PRO, but I can spare these two cents!

A Fool in need of focus.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us