The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-bernina-630-and-i-like-it-i-think-it-32553933.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anyone have a Bernina? Date:  1/13/2017  10:07 PM
Author:  cosmos284 Number:  7318 of 7394

I have a Bernina 630, and I like it. I think it has too many features for the type of sewing that I do. I mostly quilt, but I want to move into garment sewing.

I like that it has some basic stitches that will work with knits since I don't have a serger. I use the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) when I free motion quilt, but you may have already mastered that if you quilt on your current machine.

Bernina does have a nice quarter inch foot, and also a quarter inch foot with a guide, which I prefer. I have about 20 feet, most of which I bought when the store where I purchased it had demos on the feet. For example, I have a piping foot, but I have never made piping. I stopped buying feet a long time ago.

The machine comes with basic feet, such as a edge foot, an open toe foot, and a zipper foot. The quilting edition probably comes with a darning foot and a quarter inch foot as well.

I'm quite happy with my Bernina, I've had it for just over 10 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. The store where I purchased it went out of business, then the dealer nearest to me after I moved went out of business, then the next closest dealer went out of business, and it happened yet again. There are a couple of newer dealers, but I don't have confidence they will stay in business long since so many Bernina dealers come and go.

In fact, I am taking a break to rest my shoulders, I'm quilting a baby quilt backed with Minkee right now, I can't wait to finish it.

I look forward to hearing what you think after you shop tomorrow.

I believe isewquilts also uses a Bernina, maybe she will contribute to the discussion.

Cosmos
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us