The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: Removing Dad's name from CC Date:  6/30/2017  10:46 AM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  311882 of 313061

Just to clarify: are POA ... If you have true financial control...

I have POA for my (92-y-o) father (I'm also a co-trustee of his Trust, which owns his house and most of his accounts). So, I can do stuff (mainly, pay his bills) on his behalf. I can NOT stop him from unilaterally spending/donating his money foolishly.

The POA enables me to help out, not to control. Unless OP's father is declared incompetent (a complicated process), I'm not seeing how she can control anything. If, for example, she does succeed in closing IB's CC, then her father can just get another CC for IB. And, given that IB lives with the parents, it would be very easy for him to do.

Echoing others suggestions, I'd recommend consulting a geriatric care manager or the father's physician. "Abuse, neglect, and exploitation" of elderly are illegal, and any medical or social worker who observes evidence of any is required to report it. Not sure to whom. IB appears to be committing exploitation, so if OP can find out whom to report that to, that would be the path that might rein him in.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us