The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: RMD strategy Date:  8/9/2017  9:22 AM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  20440 of 22098

By a 'qualified account', I assume you're speaking of an employer sponsored retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or profit sharing plan? If so, you'd probably be better off doing a direct (agent-to-agent) rollover of the qualified plan balance to your Traditional IRA, which will be entirely tax neutral. Then you can do a Roth conversion using any 15% headroom. This will effectively reduce the RMD you'd otherwise have at 70.5.

Bruce, I am late getting back to this. Thank you for this suggestion. Last year I moved the $ in my traditional IRA into my Roth (paying the tax on it), but I kept the traditional IRA open just in case I might need it for something later on. It sounds like your idea is that something. Yes, it's $ coming from my employee-sponsored retirement plan and would go into my Roth at Schwab.

Also, my CPA is also a CFP. I had been using him (for > 30 years) solely to do my taxes.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us