The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-recession-in-south-florida-started-in-2006-i-32846160.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401k and Roth 401k Date:  9/26/2017  9:29 AM
Author:  Florida65 Number:  85341 of 101508

The recession in South Florida started in 2006. I own a real estate company and the real estate market totally collapsed along with financing. I got out of stocks because I had to cash everything in to live. I lost two houses and all my savings. I didn't arbitrarily get out of the market. Fortunately, I started freelance writing during that time since there were No jobs in South Florida. That led to writing and publishing books which led to my recovery. My behavior patterns don't worry me. I'm a proven survivor. Other people weren't so fortunate; the police will tell you that there were a lot of suicides. It just didn't make the news. Unless you live here and were involved in any way in the housing industry, you simply cannot understand the desperation. But, I'm bouncing back and at age 65, I prefer not to hit rock bottom again.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us