The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-you-google-quotold-vs-new-windowsquot-32861460.aspx

Subject:  Re: ThyPeace Mortgage Update - HAPPY DANCE!! Date:  10/12/2017  6:58 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  312017 of 313065

If you google "old vs new windows," you'll find a lot of info.

I replaced my aluminum-framed single-pane windows with vinyl-clad wood-frame double-pane about 25 years ago. There are pros and cons. The biggest problem is that there's a lot less light now, because wood takes up more room than metal, leaving less square footage for glass. We got custom sizes in order to get the biggest possible windows into the existing brick openings, and they still look clunky and dark.

Sounds like you already have wood-framed windows. In which case, fixing the weight ropes, replacing the glazing, and repainting, might be the best option. Even if you have to hire someone to put up screens in the spring and storms in the fall.

If you do replace, check out all options. The older Pellas had muntins between the glass, so they were easy to clean. The new Pellas don't, so you need to snap out the muntins to clean, then snap them back in again. In both cases, the top sash of double-hungs opens only a few inches, not all the way. If I were replacing windows now, I'd check out Pella, Andersen, Marvin; also verify that the square footage of glass area will be at least what's already there with the old windows.

Good luck!

And congrats about the mortgage. Going forward, the issue of whether to repair vs replace old windows is "a good problem to have."
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us