The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / New Paradigm Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/to-this-day-i-don39t-have-a-mobile-phone-32890536.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Dark Side of Technology Date:  11/10/2017  11:07 AM
Author:  captainccs Number:  85753 of 115517

To this day I don't have a mobile phone, smart, dumb, or otherwise. It has nothing to do with the linked article. My dad used to run three businesses at the same time and he went to each one daily. Back in the 1960s or '70s CB radios were all the rage (a kind of prehistoric mobile phone :). One day I asked him why he didn't get one. He said that driving from one business to the next was the only time he got some rest. This lesson stayed with me, I hate to be "on demand." I much prefer asynchronous communications, aka email and answering service.

People tell me all the wonders and convenience of smart phones but while walking on the streets I see people with they eyes glued to their phones, oblivious to the world around them. I dumped one girlfriend who insisted on bringing her smart phone on dates. I really hate people interrupting a fine dinner to talk on the phone. Your partner should feel special, not second to a phone!

Denny Schlesinger
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us