The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Pencils Palace

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gt-unfortunately-i-did-sell-23rds-of-my-32961944.aspx

Subject:  Re: Learning from a 78-bagger with Netflix Date:  1/24/2018  11:11 AM
Author:  hrse Number:  7223 of 7242

> Unfortunately, I did sell 2/3rds of my position earlier this decade when I was raising some money to cover some college bills. I gravitated toward selling stakes in my biggest winners -- Netflix, Chipotle, and Monster -- which I still consider to be the biggest mistake I've made as an investor thus far.

I sympathize with you on the sellers regret, but think this is a case of monday morning quarterbacking.

What other choices did you have? Selling stocks that were under-performing. Selling stocks that were down.

The chance that one of your 4 bangers will turn out to be a 17 banger is really slim. You have a better chance of a stock that has gone up 20% while the over all market is up 40% to double. (assuming you are limiting to 'good' stocks)

NFLX is a fantastic story, but suggesting that you should not sell to pay for existing bills requires you to either put of other spending or borrow. The question then becomes, when can you enjoy the gains?

Mark.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us