The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Pencils Palace

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/david-i-know-exactly-what-you-mean-i-bought-two-32965707.aspx

Subject:  Re: Learning from a 78-bagger with Netflix Date:  1/27/2018  2:15 PM
Author:  CMF-mazske Number:  7227 of 7242

David,

I know exactly what you mean.

I bought two small positions in Netflix back in 2005.

Now, during that time period and the years after, I was always not making much money and I was raising two boys along with my wife.

My house was old and needed a lot of work.

In 2014, I was thinking about trying to do some work to my house. One of my ideas was to try to renovate my basement as it was dark, dingy and just there.

I realized my position in Netflix had gone up enough, maybe 15-16 bagger, that I could pay for the work to be done.

So, I sold my shares. I had my basement gutted, ran new sewer lines, added a bathroom, a new laundry room, closets, drywall, new wiring, tile and laminate flooring and more. It really looks good.

Just this week, I looked at Netflix. Wow, if I had held all of my shares until now, I could almost pay off one of my new rental homes that I just bought in 2017. Or, I could buy another rental home.

I have found out that I both love buying great companies as well as buying small single family homes to rent.

And, speaking of Berea, as much as it would have been cool for my youngest son to have attended there, he is doing great at the USCGA. He's running in a track meet today somewhere in the north east.

Fool on,

mazske

All positions are listed in my profile
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us