The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quothow-would-you-compare-the-weather-in-32979571.aspx

Subject:  Re: Newbie to this Retirement Board Date:  2/8/2018  11:51 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  1826 of 1906

"How would you compare the weather in Athens, GA? I've known people from there who loved their little college town and others who couldn't wait to leave. Personally, it sounds damn nice to me. But I guess the summers could get rough...and now you've alerted me to potential lousy winters...do they reach Athens?" - Smurfdog

Personally I think Athens, Georgia weather is more moderate than our weather. We have colder winters and hotter summers. The reason why is we are the "mid south", closer to the interior of the country and the interior of the country heats up in the summer. We have more days over 100 degrees. Athens, Georgia also has less snow and milder winters. Athens weather comes up more from the Gulf of Mexico and our weather tends to come more from the west. It's a little different. For instance for the next ten day forecast our weather is supposed to be in the low 50s and Athens, GA's weather is supposed to be in the 60s with a few days in the low 70s. I lived in Athens, GA for about 10 years and really liked it. I met my wife there in 1974. She was a Journalism major and I was an Animal Science major. We left Athens, GA in 1982 and moved to Knoxville, TN.

I was working as the manager of the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy Animal Facilities from 1980-1982 when my wife asked me if I wanted to move to Tennessee. She had an offer of a faculty position at the Uni. of TN and I was picturing me fishing in all those TVA lakes around Knoxville. When we moved here though I wasn't realizing it was going to be for the rest of my life. After living in Knoxville for a year and a half (I worked as a meat cutter at an IGA not too far from our house during that time) I finally got a job as the "Animal Facilities Coordinator" for the Uni. of TN Vet School. Anyway we've been living in Tennessee now for ~ 36 years. I was 29 when we moved here and I'll be 65 in about a month.

Athens, GA is a great place to live. Lindytoes knows people who moved to Athens, GA just because they read about in some magazine as a good place to retire.

Art
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us