The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/no-that-was-in-2014-but-i39m-referring-to-32983054.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing BRK's Cash Date:  2/13/2018  12:53 AM
Author:  commoncents33 Number:  234462 of 250179

No, that was in 2014. But I'm referring to what Buffett said at the annual meeting last year

He also addressed this issue in his CNBC interview with Becky after the Tax Bill passed, if I'm not mistaken. He said that it would not be acceptable if in three years Berkshire is stilling on $150B of cash, or something like that. So that's twice this year he's talked about not sitting on such large amount of cash for so long; maybe something is changing...or maybe we will see a market within that time that let's him put the money to work.

All that being said, I don't have such big problems with is sitting on so much cash. 1) Most importantly, at least he's not doing the all-too-common value-destroying things like the average big business: stupid acquisitions at stupid prices, and share buybacks above intrinsic value, 2) given that Berkshire fits my "certain of a good thing rather than hopeful for a great one" portion of the portfolio, a bunch of cash isn't all bad.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us