The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Last RoundUp

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/to-me-this-was-very-obvious-advice-but-to-my-33028730.aspx

Subject:  Re: good news! Date:  4/2/2018  1:03 PM
Author:  GreenMartianX Number:  2605 of 3781

To me, this was very obvious advice, but to my wife and her friend it wasn't second nature. I don't know if this is some fundamental difference between women and men, but I have found it somewhat consistent.

That's my experience anecdotally too - at least in the workforce, women tend to be, to use a Jordan Peterson term, more 'agreeable' than me, in that they don't complain as much (w/some exceptions - in a shipyard where I worked with 30k folks, this was unquestionably true). There was a podcast on the Investor Field Guy site w/Brent Beshore where he noted that of the thousands of companies he looks at it is very rare to find one headed by a woman entrepreneur. I think the other thing that is really obvious is another Peterson point - by the time women reach 28-35, they've got to get their family/work life in order, cause the options begin to run out - that's irrefutable, and it explains perhaps why men can dither and women face more challenges (maybe this is changing on the edges, but it also explains the popularity of the Lean In books which make a rather unremarkable point to men but earth-shattering - again, based on the success of that book - in women).

Again, this is all anecdotal to me, but it rings true - of course, the good news is that if a woman is aware of this then they can take concrete steps to address it. Repeated enough, it will be second nature - perhaps. I know when I used to play sports i wanted to win every darn time, and I got mad often when i didn't. In fact, that was absolute constant in my early life - men challenged men all the time, all the time. We still do. My wife.....nope...far more agreeable.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us