The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Industry Discussions / Economy and Markets

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-used-to-live-in-houston-and-i-still-have-33044961.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investment Thoughts - 2018-2020 Date:  4/21/2018  2:12 PM
Author:  hkt002 Number:  10590 of 10602

I used to live in Houston and I still have relatives, friends, and associates there. The general consensus is that the industry is rebounding; but because of efficiency gains and risk aversion due to the violence of the last downtown, there is little net hiring. Specifically, I have a friend that used to work at Aramaco in Saudi Arabia who was laid off about a year ago. He is in Houston and still looking for work. Other folks are in holding patterns.

This is actually one of the main reasons why I am bullish on Big Oil in the longer term. Both CAPEX and labor costs are being kept down even as production recovers, unlike the 2003-2013 period when rising oil prices were accompanied by significant CAPEX and labor costs inflation. Perhaps XOM's declaration of >15% ROIC on their CAPEX plans isn't so aggressive, after all.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us