The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Diabetic Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/have-you-tried-low-carbing-everyone39s-a-bit-33102696.aspx

Subject:  Re: Diabete Digest - Recapping Spring Date:  6/22/2018  7:31 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  2711 of 2920

Have you tried low-carbing?

Everyone's a bit different. My "pre-diabetic" elder brother stayed off meds/lowered his BG into the normal range by avoiding sugar and grains but continuing to eat fruit and carby vegetables. He gets a lot of exercise, which helps. My own BG maps closely to the level of low-carbing I do--I'm a more modest exerciser. When I stay in ketosis, my fasting BG is under 90. When I just avoid sugar and grains, I'm in the low 90s. When I'm sloppy, ~100. Ad when I eat the typical level of carbs in the average American diet--I'm pre-diabetic. Or at my age nnow, I expect I would be diabetic.

My diabetic brother did pretty well by staying under about 75 grams sugar/day--that's toting up every single thing he ate & drank, not just the added sugar. that means counting the carbs in vegetables as well as fruit, and pretty much avoiding sugar and grains altogether. But once I stopped providing all of his food, he fell off the wagon. He currently eats the ADA recommended amount of carbs (150 gms/day IIRC). So he's back on insulin. Bad advice if you ask me!
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us