The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

CAPS / CAPS Blogs

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/some-of-the-best-advice-ive-seen-is-in-the-book-33606710.aspx

Subject:  Re: Time for a Few Small Repairs Date:  2/12/2008  11:21 AM
Author:  smashignitionst Number:  29934 of 533

Some of the best advice I've seen is in the book, "The Warren Buffett" way.  He would say waiting to buy a company until it is already going up is stupid.  Who would want to buy a company for a higher price if you could have had it for a lower price? 

When you are looking at a company currently at $30, who would really say "I like this company but I want it at $33"?  If you think it is a good buy at $30 and you want to hold it long, who cares if it goes down first - you still have the same company you had before, it's not like your shares actually decreased if you're still waiting for whatever the price will be at the end of FY2009 or 2010.

If you buy a great company for a good price and it goes down more, you now have an opportunity to buy a great company at a great price.  2007 was the only year momentum "investors" did better than value investors since the tech bubble (and we all know how that turned out when it ended) so it isn't exactly a winning strategy.  Check out Warren Buffett.  I'd call that a winning strategy.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us