The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i39m-not-aware-of-any-objective-study-on-the-33998521.aspx

Subject:  Re: Study on early claiming of SS Date:  9/4/2018  7:18 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  20686 of 20976

I'm not aware of any objective study on the question of why almost half of SS beneficiaries begin at age 62. I read of reasons relating to the need for income, health reasons, wanting to get out of the work force...the earlier the better and perhaps as a way of allowing other dependent family members to begin a benefit based on the worker's PIA. But none of these has been predominant in my experience working in this industry. Based only on my experience, the majority begin because they can begin...not because they need to. The most common given reason for this...at least to me...is the fear that SS is going to 'run dry' and so they want to start taking while they can take. This of course is silly and in really, I think, a personal rationale for just taking money because its available with little thought given to the future and consideration of alternatives to beginning at the earliest date possible. These tend to be those whose reality is today and the future is something that will be worried about when they get there.

BruceM
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us