The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/just-because-you-claim-ss-early-is-no-indication-33998554.aspx

Subject:  Re: Study on early claiming of SS Date:  9/4/2018  7:46 PM
Author:  ImAGolfer Number:  20690 of 21053

Just because you claim SS early is no indication that you don't know how to handle money. I began receiving SS payments at age 62 based on a couple of reasons:

1. Because I was eligible.

2. Because who knows how long this benefit will continue to be available or that all sorts of eligibility requirements might be placed on SS in the future.

3. Probably the biggest reason I chose to take it early was my thinking that 'why should I tap my tax protected investments'. Why not let them grow longer. To me SS represents a $300-$400k pot that I'm drawing down on.

If a person plans, saves and doesn't live beyond their means they shouldn't have issues with retirement. I've been retired 15 years now and have way, way, way more spending money than I ever did while I worked.

Retirement is a good deal in my opinion. Oh, and by the way, I think I can handle money OK.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us